Welcome to Year 3
Teacher - Mr J Harrison
Supported by Miss L Osborne
Year 3 class email address: Year3@canonjohnson.co.uk
Year 3 Long Term Overview
Autumn 1 Year 3 Newsletter - What are we doing this term?
Autumn 2 newsletter - What are we doing this term?
Spring 1, What are we doing this term?
Spring 2, What are we doing this term?
Your child will receive homework on a Friday and we ask for it to be returned by the following Friday. Homework will reinforce your child’s learning and is therefore extremely valuable.
Your child has also been given passwords to Times Table Rockstars and Purple Mash which they can access at home. Children can use Times Table Rockstars to assess their speed and accuracy when recalling their times tables and they can work on their ICT skills using Purple Mash. There are lots of other resources to be found on Purple Mash too, including games to help consolidate children's maths and English knowledge.
Reading is incredibly important and your support in this learning process is vital.
10 Benefits of Reading
1. Children who read often and widely get better at it – after all, practise makes perfect.
2. Reading exercises our brain – reading is a much more complex task for the human brain than for example, watching TV. Reading strengthens brain connections and builds new connections.
3. Reading improves concentration.
4. Reading teaches children about the world around them.
5. Reading improves vocabulary and language.
6. Reading develops a child’s imagination.
7. Reading helps children to develop empathy – as children develop they begin to consider how they would feel if placed in certain situations.
8. Reading is fun – dreaming with your eyes open!
9. Reading is a great way to spend time together.
10. Reading promotes achievement in all subjects.
We issue every child with a banded reading book, which they should read at home everyday. Children should bring their book into school EVERY day. Children also have access to the KS2 library - they can select a book of their choice.. Every child has a reading journal which should be signed to show they have read at home. We will check this every Friday when children return their books, and reward children regularly for reaching reading milestones.
Your child has also been given an Oxford Reading Buddies password where even more reading resources can be found.
Your child has also been given a Reading Plus username and password. Please encourage your child to access this platform daily. Reading Plus builds fluency and stamina and exposes your child to a range of different text types.
Our P.E. lessons take place on Thursdays and Fridays. Please ensure your child has a full PE kit in school (plain blue shorts/navy joggers, white T-shirt and pumps).
If you have any questions or would like any further information, please don’t hesitate to ask :-)
Below is the PowerPoint from our Meet and Greet session:
Maths - Canon Johnson Visual Calculation Policy
Autumn 1, Geography Unit:
Autumn 2, History Unit.
Autumn 1, Science Unit:
Autumn 2 Science
Autumn 1, Design and Technology
Autumn 2, Art
Autumn 1, Music
Autumn 2, Music
Autumn 1, Computing
Autumn 2, Computing
Spring 2, Science
Spring 2 Geography
Spring 1 Design and Technology
Spring 2 Music
Spring 2 Computing
Spring 2 Science
Spring 2 History
Spring 2 Art and Design
Spring 2 Music
Spring 2 Computing
All parents should have received an email with TEAMS log in details for their child.
If you have not please email Mr Harrison on firstname.lastname@example.org