Christ Church Building Co Ltd. and Frank Garside
The district of Christ Church was constituted in March, 1846, and became an ecclesiastical parish in 1847.
On May 27th 1910, Sir Charles Cripps (Vicar General of Canterbury and York) and Dr Knox (the Bishop of Manchester) opened The Infant Day School for the Parish of Christ Church.
The school was built to accommodate 210 infants and the total cost to build the school amounted to £2385 (this worked out at 8 pounds, 12 shillings and 6pence per student).
The parishioners raised funds to provide means for additional accommodation including buying extra land to allow for another building and playground spaces and thus formed ‘The Christ Church Building Co. Ltd.’. They raised on average £347 annually for the maintenance and enlargement of the school.
Frank Garside was a churchwarden at Christ Church and his wife Lillian Mottram was a teacher here at Canon Johnson. Frank was a member of the Central Sunday School and Lily (as she was known) was a Sunday school teacher and superintendent.
Frank did a great deal to help raise funds for the building of the school and held the position of ‘School Correspondent’ for many years.
Frank is buried in Christ Church’s graveyard along with his beloved wife Lily. She was the last person to be buried there.