KEY STAGE 2
Teacher - Mrs K Myers
Supported by - Mrs J Hoskin
Welcome to Year 5
In Year 5 we have Mrs Myers as the class teacher and Mrs Hoskin as the teaching assistant
We are a friendly team and you are welcome to catch a quick word in the morning if you need to.
We have high expectations of our children but this doesn’t stop us from having enjoyment whilst learning.
Reading is incredibly important….
· Reading makes us more knowledgeable about the world and helps us to improve our ability in all subjects.
· Reading makes our brains stronger - neuroscientists have found that reading a novel enhances connectivity in the brain – watching TV has the opposite effect.
· Reading improves our memory.
· Reading develops vocabulary and our use of it.
· Reading improves our concentration.
The children have a reading book to take home and they can change this as often as needed. They also have access to the KS2 library where they can pick a book of their choice.
It is expected that the children read for ten minutes a day at home. They all have a yellow reading journal which should be filled in and signed to show they have read.
Each child in Year 5 have been given an Oxford Reading Buddies password where even more reading resources can be found.
The children have been given a times table file where they work at their own pace and are tested on regularly.
On Friday, the children are given a maths sheet that relates to work done throughout the week. This is to be completed and returned the following Tuesday.
IXL and TT Rockstars – Each child has a password for IXL (which has Maths and English skills) and TT Rockstars (which tests the children on speed and accuracy of recall).
P.E is every Monday and Wednesday.
Year 5 made Ancient Greek and Roman buildings as part of our entry point for IPC.