Canon Johnson C. of E. Primary School is a Voluntary Aided School attached to Christ Church, Ashton -under-Lyne. We are part of the Manchester Diocese. We provide education for children from the age of 3 to 11. The Governors are local people who take a personal interest in the life of the school and are responsible for the policies and curriculum in co-operation with the head teacher and staff.
The school’s semi-open plan extensions were built around Christ Church Infant School, which dated from 1910, and the present school was opened in 1970. A new Foundation Stage Unit was added in 2002 and includes a designated play area for our youngest children.
The original building is now the entrance hall and offices and a large hall used for assemblies, P.E. and dining. Key Stage 1 consists of two class bases with shared library, practical and imaginative play areas. Key Stage 2 has two wings, built around a garden quadrangle, each contain two class bases, small workrooms and shared area for practical activities and resources.
Behind the school is a large playground, which we are constantly working to improve. There are spacious playing fields used in the drier parts of the year.
In January 2019, we became an academy as part of the Forward As One Trust. This move is seen as a huge step towards developing closer links with schools in the Ashton Under Lyne areas as two other schools have joined the same trust: Parochial CE Primary School and St James’ CE Primary School. This is a very new and exciting chapter in the school’s history and we will keep you posted on how the trust and collaboration with other schools develops our school and the local community.